Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Print Print
Text Size A A A

If you disagree with your tax assessment

​Making an objection

  1. Call the CRA – You'll find the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) phone number on your notice of assessment. You'll need to address the miscommunication or mistake and provide any further information needed to clear things up.
  2. File an objection – If you're not satisfied after speaking with the CRA, file an objection (T400A). This is a formal dispute. You have to give the reasons for the dispute and present the relevant facts and documents.
  3. Appeal to the Tax Court of Canada – If you disagree with the CRA's ruling on your objection, you can appeal to the Tax Court of Canada.
Consider hiring a tax professional to help you with filing a notice of objection or appealing to the Tax Court of Canada.

Know your rights

The Taxpayer Bill of Rights entitles you to be treated with a high degree of accuracy, professionalism, courteousness and fairness. If you're not satisfied with the service you receive, you can complain to the CRA complaints department and ultimately to the Taxpayers' Ombudsman.


 Related resources